For Ludwig van
Beethoven (1770-1827), his stays in Heiligenstadt, which was at that time
still a rural suburb of Vienna, were characterised by profound feelings. He
suffered from hearing difficulties and hoped to find a cure by visiting the sanatorium
in Heiligenstadt, which is located immediately adjacent to Mayer am Pfarrplatz.
As early as 1802, Beethoven had documented, in his own distressed words, his
despair over his hearing difficulties in the “Heiligenstädter
He found renewed strength in
Heiligenstadt. In 1803/1804, Beethoven completed his Symphony No. 3,
“Eroica”. In 1817, Ludwig van Beethoven moved into
the romantic semi-detached house at the “Mayer am Pfarrplatz” winery.
This event was described as follows by Joseph Aug. Lux in his 1927 Beethoven
“A summer house was found in Heiligenstadt;
the house is delightfully situated on the quiet and sunny Pfarrplatz, in the
middle of which stands a statue of John of Nepomuk, surrounded by four acacia
trees. Saint Florian looks down from the corner of the house, where he stands
in front of a blue background; a wide gate leads into the courtyard; wild vines
overgrow the open wooden staircase on the long side of the house, which is used
to climb up to the primitive rooms, the windows of which have a wide view over
the Danube, across to the Marchfeld, where Countess Erdödy lives at her country
When you go over Nestelbachgasse to Mayer am Pfarrplatz today time seems to
have stood still, because every detail in the description is still visible. During
his time in Heiligenstadt Ludwig van Beethoven worked on his greatest creation:
Symphony No. 9.